- Here is how you can make table have a small black border around it:
<table style="border-width:1px; border-style:solid; border-color:black;">
This is how it looks:
It works in IE, Opera 6 and Netscape 6.2 (not Netscape 4).
- The 'copyright symbol' can be inserted with ©
- Inserting between words is prevents the line from wrapping there.
- In a SELECT box, when OPTION VALUE is not specified, the value will be the same as label.
- When stylesheet is in effect, you can still use the font size - just use absolute size
instead of relative (size=2, not size=-1).
- When you specify ALIGN in TR, it will override default behavior of inner tags - for
example if you do TR ALIGN=LEFT, the TH tags inside the TR will also be left aligned.
- Cross-browser way to create list with graphical bullets:
<dt><dd><img src="bullet_red.gif"> First item
<dt><dd><img src="bullet_red.gif"> Second item
<dt><dd><img src="bullet_red.gif"> Third item
<dt><dd><img src="bullet_red.gif"> Fourth item
- To create unordered list without bullets, use <ul type=none> (This only works in Netscape, for IE you will need to use <STYLE>)
- When shrinking image, some quality is lost, but this is less noticeable if color of the image
is closer to the background color of the page.
- Code to get page to expire immediately, so it's not cached:
<META HTTP-EQUIV="EXPIRES" CONTENT="0">
- When form has default values, Reset button doesn't clear them - rather it undoes all
the changes that user made in the form.
- Using <ul> without <li> can be used to insert a 'tab'.
- Interesting way to do "make this site your homepage" - link leads to .reg file,
"Start Page" = "http://www.URL.com
Turning off the underline for links:
To do change the color of the link when mouse is over it, use something like
hlink - color of link that you just clicked, while the page is still on screen
alink - 'active link' - then one where text hilite is
- You can rig an image to trigger event when it's clicked:
<img src="iskull1.gif" onclick="alert('Do not click here, dammit!')">
Try it: click on skull.
This works in IE, but not in Opera/Netscape.
- Here's a way to stretch table to entire page width, while keeping cell contents
<table bgcolor=#FFFF99 width=100%>
<tr> <td width=10%> Subject: </td> <td width=90%> Test message</td></tr>
It will look like this:
the major cause of 'has no properties' error is specifying
something like FORM NAME=XX instead of FORM NAME="xx".
- Disassembling HTML forms
Unordered list (<ul>)seems to align long paragraphs
better than ordered one (<ol>).
- Making images larger than their actual size may add fresh look,
- Using <TH> can work for centering image in table cell,
just as well as <TD ALIGN=CENTER>, but with less typing.
- Things like <TD WIDTH=40%> do not work unless
WIDTH is also specified in <TABLE>. Why ? The answer,
my fiend, is blowing in the wind.
Also, widths within TD are still relative to the screen, not
to the table.
- Some special chars:
§ - §
¨ - ¨
¶ - ¶
¹ - ¹
- This is how CNET does colored bullets:
<font size="+1" color="#009933"><b>•</b></font>
- Specifying several fonts in FONT FACE - extra ones are
substitute choices, in the case the 1st font is not available
on user's system.
- InfoSpace has a bunch of servers and you can try several -
for example, if http://in-119.infospace.com/info/business.htm
is not responding, try http://in-118.infospace.com/info/business.htm.
- Linking to the root page:
- How to force specific encoding from a page
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=windows-1251">
- To display image in the same line as form, put img src
inside of <form> block.
- When HTML document has a <title>, it will show up as file
comment in directory that has no index file in it.
- Entire page with <i> doesn't look bad at all - for example,
- When page contains single HTML form, pressing ENTER will
work the same as SUBMIT button - you can even omit SUBMIT button
- <li> tag will put a bullet on screen even if it is not part of
- Selection box - pressing same key repeatedly wil advance you in
list of matching entries.
- When 'hidden' is misspelled in HTML form, 'text' is assumed.
- Inserting ascii char into HTML - & #160
- You can scale down the image in img src HTML tag:
<img src="jawa.gif" height=60 width=100>
- Trick - just as you can do TD ALIGN=CENTER,
you can do TH ALIGN=LEFT to get boldface text without
- There is tag for underline: <U>.
- There is option BORDERCOLOR in HTML table - can do both for table
itself and single rows.
They look good on screen, but not in print.
And Netscape doesn't support them.
- You can specify row color in HTML table:
<TD BGCOLOR="#4A94EF"> (good looking cyan/blue).
- IE 3.0 requires <HTML> tag - kju!
- HTML numbered list: <ol>